16 January 2009

Bronze & Copper Toggles

Last night I spent several hours with my good friends Pat and Kathleen playing with Bronze and Copper metal clay for the first time. They are prepping for a hands-on workshop on Feb 8th in Los Gatos for the local metal clay group (SFBASCG.) 

Both Pat and Kathleen had played with the new clays already; in fact Kathleen has made many many pieces with the bronze clay. As for me, well - I have now opened, and used, the free sample pack of bronze I received last summer!



One of the toggle clasps might look nice with a hand knit copper bracelet that's been sitting on my bench without a clasp for quite a while....

As a bonus, I talked with Pat's newly certified diving husband about his first dive trip. We also talked about places we'd like to go diving; our lists are both long. :)

Kathleen has kindly offered to fire my bronze and copper (product in development by Hadar Jacobsen) pieces for me in her charcoal setup. We'll see if all the bronze flakes I managed to get on the copper make a difference.

2 comments:

  1. I'm interested to hear what you think of the bronzclay. I've been through 300 grams of it and have decided that I don't really care for it, in clay form and certainly not after it's fired! I used to cast bronze, so I've had lots of experience finishing it (NOT fun). How does it compare to the copper?
    Cheers,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. The silver clay (both brands) seems to hold it's weight when moist much better than the bronzclay and copper clay; in that order. Needed to do things in a different sequence than with the silver, e.g. remove from both the bronzclay and the copper from the mold before cutting so it stays in one piece. Bronzclay was more forgiving in that sense and I was able to do more of my usual sequencing. The copper clay was quite a different consistency. In the plastic wrap it condensed like a stress ball in that almost mushy almost firm way.

    I'll definitely see how hard they are to work with after being fired, because I did zero finishing in the leather hard state. Will post the results.

    ReplyDelete